Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Led Zeppelin - led Zeppelin 1V
The heavy heavy monster sound of Led Zeppelin, IS BACK. Not that there was anything wrong with the sound of Led Zeppelin III, just that the material maybe wasn't as strong as we were getting used to back there. Can I say something? Immediately you'll see where i'm going here when I say this. I absolutely adore the first THREE songs on this album. Best three songs here! And yeah, i'm being serious. God, 'Stairway To Heaven' is 'Stairway To Heaven' is 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's eight minutes long, has truly fascinating lyrics and a very purposeful, albeit getting to the point gradually, nature of the musical track. This 'point' is of course the heavier section of the song, the great Jimmy Page solo - and then I like the way the song closes. More of an event than a song, and a deliberately crafted event at that. The group reportedly 'set about' writing a suitably epic song that would rival the reception and glory of 'Dazed And Confused' during live performances. Nothing wrong with that, obviously. I like 'Stairway To Heaven' in case you didn't quite get that during my mini-description of it back there. But, I guess this album revolves around whether you love, like or merely tolerate 'Stairway To Heaven'. There are probably people out there that don't even like the song at all. I'm not that kind of person, I fall definitely into the second camp. Whilst i'm here, I'll also say that the huge drum sound of the overly lengthy 'When The Levee Breaks', along with the harmonica sound, is the best thing about the track. 'When The Levee Breaks' and 'Stairway To Heaven' are my least favourite two songs on 'Led Zeppelin IV'. Which may sound ridiculous to some, it's just I adore the faster, rockier stuff here so much more. Well, correction. The delicate 'Going To California' is one of my favourite Led Zeppelin songs. It's just this straight folky thing, but Page and Plant both sound truly beautiful. A similar thing of possibly even greater wonder is the Sandy Denny assisted 'Battle Of Evermore'. Sandy sings perfectly, not trying to be the main event, but still really aiding the haunting beauty of the song.

Oh, oh OH - 'Black Dog' has a riff and three Quarters, Page is the man here, he's THE MAN. I just feel like squirming and rolling around naked in mud, with sheer glee - at the sound of this riff, and it's variations. Really, I do! 'Black Dog' has one hell of a rhythm section about it, and an utter classic Robert Plant vocal performance, classic, classic, classic. Oh, yeah, 'Misty Mountain Hop' has heavy drums, another fabulous riff, another winner, a great vocal performance again, great vocal rhythm actually - love what Plant does here. Okay, i'll calm down. God, 'Four Sticks' is great too, another riff monster. So, even WITH 'Stairway To Heaven' and 'When The Levee Breaks' inhabiting around a third of this albums playing time, the rest is surely glorious enough for this album to deserve a '9'? Just think, what if I actually loved instead of just liked 'Stairway To Heaven'? What then?? Still, I can't help that, can I?

Black Dog / Rock And Roll / The Battle Of Evermore / Stairway To Heaven / Misty Mountain Hop / Four Sticks / Going To California / When The Levee Breaks

[Image: led4.jpg]